HOPA REACH Consortium
REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of CHemicals), the European Union regulation for both new and existing chemical substances, came into force on 1st June 2007. All chemicals produced or imported into the EU in quantities above 1 tonne per year per manufacturer/importer need to be registered with the European Chemicals Agency. Considerable technical information is required for each registration, depending on the tonnage band into which the substance falls.
Approximately 80 substances that fall into the categories of linear alpha olefins, olefins branched and linear, and poly alpha olefins needed to be registered under REACH and CLP by December 2010. wca environment are part of a consortium of legal, financial and technical experts who form the HOPA REACH Services Team.
wca environment were responsible for the preparation of the physico-chemical, environmental fate and ecotoxicity sections of the REACH submissions. This involved:
• Conducting literature searches
• Reviewing all available data
• Compiling and organising data for all categories/substances
• Selecting key studies for robust and supporting summaries
• Identifying data gaps and designing testing strategies
• Preparing robust and supporting summaries in IUCLID
• Deriving PNECS
• Conducting environmental exposure assessments
• Conducting PBT and vPvB assessments
• Proposing classification and labeling
• Producing the relevant sections of the CSA and CSR
REACH registration dossiers for the substances and intermediates covered by the HOPA consortium.
Start and completion dates
wca environment project co-ordinator